Pages

Friday 9 November 2018

👍Maths - Adding Decimals!👍



Image result for maths decimals

IALT:Add decimals and colour code them to find a patterns
👍Maths - Adding Decimals!👍
Kia Ora unicorns, aliens, viewers or who or whatever you are and welcome back to my blog!

In the middle block we had been doing maths. I tend to talk more than work so that is something I really need to improve on! We were learning about how to add decimals and then colour code the numbers to get a design at the end. I am still on that task and I am almost getting there!

I was working with my friend Grace and she was helping me to answer some questions that I was unsure of since she had already finished the task. We were working on the yellow part of the colour coding.

One of the easier questions that I could solve was:
28.4+26.8=____
For this question I used Algorithm, I find Algorithim to be easier. Another trick I used is to take away the decimal point, I'm not sure why but I find it easier to add up whole numbers and then adding the decimal point back, instead of adding up decimals.

It goes from this: 
  28.4
+26.8
--------
to this:
  284
+268
--------

I then add the numbers up from the right and then to the left and then use the last number for example if it was 14 I would use 4 and take the one and add it to the next number, like this:
  284
+268

  • 40+80=12 
  • 80+60=140
  • 200+200=400
Image result for mathsNow It would end up as 552 because you have 2 from the 12 and take the 10 but change it to 1 and add it to 14 which then make 15 so you leave the 5 and take the 10 again and change it to 1 and add it to the 4 which makes 5 hundreds. Add it all up and that would hopefully make up 552.

Now since we took the decimal place you now put it after the 5 and before the 2 because the decimal points always have to be lined up! For example:



Here are 2 pictures of what I have done so far and what Grace has done for her colour coding.
  28.4
+26.8
--------
  55.2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope you enjoyed this blog and hopefully understood my method of my explanation and if not tell me how I can improve it to make it more simple!

Kia Ora!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment