Pages

Thursday 13 September 2018

Maori Language Week Lessons with Chanel, Andrea, Tara and Clara


Kia ora unicorns, aliens, viewers or who or whatever you are and welcome back to my blog!
Image result for kia ora gifsIn the middle and first block we had a Maori lesson with our 2 kapa haka tutors Andrea and Chanel in the first block to teach us about common conversations with people and some of the people apart of the Board of trustees that spoke a bit of Te reo Maori came to teach us about conversations that Majority of these students talk about now-a-days which is... TECHNOLOGY!

So in the first block when we were with Andrea and Chanel we had to go on the meeting are of our classroom so they could teach us all about common conversations like how to say in Te reo Maori like -

  • Hello - Tena Koe
  • How are you? - Kei te pehea koe
  • Good, tired, hungry etc
  • What hobbies do you have? - He aha 
  • Netball and Rugby - 
  • Whose your family? - Tena ko whanau
  • *introducing family and yourself or you life* -  Here's my pepeha as an example:

Image result for conversation in maoriAfter we had then had a conversation with our buddie (Mine was Hevani) and had to present our conversation to the class/homegroup we were in and everyone could tell that me and Hevani were petrified because even though that I am Maori but it was still nerve-racking but I knew that Hevani and I were still going to try our best. After that we had to create our own kapa haka using this haka that Andrea and Chanel gave us, the process went from making a beat to the rhythm, to creating actions, to saying it aloud, it was a lot of fun!
In the middle block we started off by doing some maths but then we had gone to the other side of the room and met with these 2 lovely women Tara and Clara who both have kids at Tamaki Primary. Tara and Clara were going to teach us all about how to say phrases including social media - as an example:
"Bro Whats the wifi password?"
"Bro can I use you charger, mine is dead"
We were learning these phrases we then had to do a task which involved us making a skit using the phrases that were there; My group was Akih, Fa'afiu and I. We were doing a skit relating to a charger situation, I don't know what the maori sentence's but I do remember the english so here they are:
Akih - "Where can I plug my charger?"
(Edith AKA Me) - "Bro can I use your charger I forgot my one"
(Fa'afiu) - "No I need it my one is dead, do you have a power bank?"
(Akih) - "No Sorry"
I had so much fun during these lessons and I can't wait to share my knowledge at this weeks Maori Language week assembly! Its going to be great!

Related image

No comments:

Post a Comment