Pages

Thursday 6 September 2018

Maths with Ms. Komor

Malo lelei unicorns, aliens or viewers and welcome back to my blog!
So this week for Maths we were learning how to add and subtract fractions using the same denominator. I was really excited for this lesson because I am trying to improve on my fractions and I think this is a really good way to solve it! The question that I am on is Activity 4 Letter (K)

The hardest bit of this lesson was understanding the numbers and trying to find a way to make sure that the answer doesn't get confused and that I get the numbers right.
I enjoyed learning a new way to add or subtract fractions using the same denominator because it was something very new to me and it was very exciting.
My next steps for when we do this is to try and do my work a bit more faster to have time to learn more new ways to make fractions easy and fun during learning time.

The question I have is:
Here was an example of how to solve it:

 Here is my working out:

Hopefully this step by step will show you how I worked out this problem!
  • 5-3=2 and 21-7=14 which got me to the first answer of 2 14/23
  • Add the 2 14/23 to the 16/23 which =  2 30/23
  • I realised that 2 30/23 is an improper fraction so I had to convert it to a mixed fraction
  • I have to find out how many time 23 fits into 30 which is once which = 1 whole and the amount left over (7) will be the new numerator which is - 3 7/23.
So that was my working out!
-----------------------------------------------------------
WALT: Add and subtract fractions using the same denominator


No comments:

Post a Comment